Thursday 2 September 2010

Our toys and us!

We all have them when we were younger and they have grown up with us from a very young age. What am I talking about? Toys. Toys come in all shapes and sizes, some large, some small. They appear in our hands, in our beds, and eventually end up in the loft, but they are never forgotten and we all have memories of our favourites.

I grew up in the 80's & 90's, I began my childhood playing with Playmobil, Duplo and Lego. I was so impressed with what I could build and thought maybe one day if only an architect had seen my designs. Other children of my generation had been brought up with Mechano. I never had a real interest in it, with its fiddly instructions and small screws my parents obviously thought it was too complex for young boy like me.

As we grow older we become more distant from our favourites. Toys change and become more relevant to today's culture and traditions. I know when I was younger there wasn't much variety in the types of Lego models you could buy. Come the turn of the century, with improvements in computer aided design and technology, they are becoming more complex including harry potter theme.

Its the same with cartoons and computers games. I remember the days of FIFA 96 and when games had to be installed off floppy disks. Today floppy disks are very much unusable and have been replaced by tiny gigabytes of memory sticks where we store our entire music collections on. Its the same with VHS which has been replaced by DVD and eventually, with a bit of luck in years to come, to replaced by Blu Ray.

Anyone remember Sooty and Sweep or Camberwick Green? All have been long forgotten, someone probably has the VHS tape somewhere and the only digital copies can be found on the ever present You Tube.

Its the same with Cartoons, the days of puppet strings & hand puppets have gone. The likes of Sooty and Sweep and Thunderbirds have been replaced by high resolution cartoons such as Pepper The Pig. However the well known Cartoon 'Brum' is still shown on CBeebies to this day.

They have all evolved greatly since 1989 and are now more exciting, but at the time we are all very impressed and excited about our new toys.

When you grow up to begin with you don't mind toys being given away but in the years to come you might go looking for them and realise that you threw them away.

So where did you give them away too? Car boot sales or younger family members who much appreciate "pass me downs" . You may have even stored them in the loft for a rainy day or to be played with by other generations of the family in the future.

James May recently took a look back at toys of yester year in James May's Toy Stories he built an entire working house out of Lego and full length Model Railway.

It just shows you that we have distant memories of our favourites when we were younger. Yours might be the same, or completely different. As we grow older, our younger generations will have completely different memories of their childhoods.

Have a favourite cartoon, toy of your childhood memories. Why not reply to this blog and tell me what your's is.

No comments:

Post a Comment