Tuesday 9 October 2012

Getting Back On The Job Ladder

After spending the last year working in Sales & Account Management in the FMCG sector I now find myself looking for a new opportunity. 

I thought that after graduating from University and getting a job straight out of blocks it wouldn't be this difficult. Especially a job where I was given the opportunity to be trained up in various aspects of the industry and more over transferable skills in Negotiation and Presentation. 

Well I couldn't have been more wrong! Since leaving my contract position I have found it incredibly difficult to get my foot back in the door. Admittedly I have been offered and taken a number of temporary opportunities, to keep income coming in, but they are only so good for the short term.  

A search on my email inbox for the word 'applications' reveals a staggering 190 applications since July. Some have led to interviews, some second stage, some even third stage. Others have been a point blank refusal, with many more not even giving me a reply. So after so much time writing covering letters and emails its difficult to keep optimism and hope. 

So where does this leave me know?

I am still actively looking, I am not one of these people that will do the job and go home at the end of the day, I have resilient character, I don't get intimidated by others and would like to think that I can bring bags of enthusiasm to the role I eventually end up doing. 

The real disheartening thing though is that whilst I am technically 'unemployed' the government states that I didn't pay enough National Insurance last year and therefore not entitled to any 'job seekers allowance'. Now come on! Whilst I may have had a job for a year, I am pretty sure there are people out there who have never worked and I am certainly not one of those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment