Wednesday 28 April 2010

The Issue with Graduate Employement

I am currently 3/4 the way through my degree at the University of Surrey, many of my peers, like myself have decided to take the year out, to undertake some work experience within the Marketing and Communications industry.

I believe that work experience / internships / work placements (what ever you call them, they all mean the same thing) is a fundamental part to securing a full time job in the future, and it shouldn't be frowned upon. I have undertaken a variety of roles in a variety of industries. It has been a hard struggle to get where I am today, numerous applications, numerous interviews, but I am passionate about going into the Hospitality & Marketing sector of the industry and maybe one day own my own Hotel. So why should this be frowned upon?

According to HR Magazine. "A CIPD survey found 59% of employees who graduated in the last two years are not currently working in a field or profession related to the degree they studied". The situation for graduates is bleak, it is so so difficult, now more than ever, to make a name for yourself, what distingushes you from anyone else, whats the difference between a 2.1 and 2.2. Especially also, when millions of students have saved up to go to University. Is this mispent money?

My girlfriend recently told me that Graduate Jobs are only for 1st's class honours, so where are the jobs for the millions of others graduating with a 2.1. I tend to agree with her, as with the reccession hitting students, employers have more choice than ever, to nitpick there way through their candidates.

I believe that the more the experience counts, so sites like WEXO, which promote work experience are great tools, but it shouldn't be exploited, especially with regards to pay, some positions I have been have been unpaid. These are grey area's with regards to work experience, and believe it or not, it is illegal to not pay people on work experience. Isn't that why there is a minimum wage?

I have been through the mill, its hard. I hope it works out when I graduate, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment