Tuesday 1 June 2010

A Tough Pill to Swallow

I awoke this morning, feeling in a strange mood, feeling like this day could be a day of good news. I haven't had any good news in a while, especially with regards to a job offer. I was told that on this occasion that my application has been unsuccessful, due to the fact that someone else had more experience than me. I started off this year to gain as much experience as possible in the field of sales and marketing, so far this year I have gained a variety of experience including Social Media, Local area Marketing and Marketing Strategy.

So I thought to myself there is always going to be someone out there with more experience there is always going to be someone or something which differentiates you from someone else. Its a tough pill to swallow when you try so hard, to build up experience in an industry you are passionate about. I have done a lot of things this year, which I am proud of doing, but there will always be someone ahead of you in the queue.

Half way through the day, I get a call from someone, who wants me for my bar services. Over the weekend me and my girlfriend decided to create a garden party service, serving drinks, serving canapes etc. I suppose this is what is going to differentiate me from someone else, my entrepreneurial spirit and my desire to work hard.

At the close of the day, I got an email from a company which I did some work experience from. I was requesting a reference for the work I had done, to prove to my future employers what I had done. According to the company, they do not provide written reference but will offer me a verbal reference. How stupid is that? I gave up my time and effort, to learn and experience something which I am passionate about and have and will continue to develop in future years, but they can't be bothered to write a short paragraph about what I got up to and how useful I was to their company.

So that was my day a mixture of up and downs and some how you have just have got to swallow the pill.

No comments:

Post a Comment